How to Use Snapchat’s Image Editing Tools
Have you ever wanted to quickly and easily alter an image to add text or graphics? How about adding a fun filter? Snapchat is an accessible way to edit photos or even create something new.
Here’s how you can use the social media app’s image editing tools…
Snapchat has a wide variety of tools to help you create whatever your imagination desires. Snapchat allows you to use its image editing tools on both images you take directly within Snapchat, and images you retrieve from your camera roll.
Using Snapchat editing tools you can add text to an image, draw a fun shape, resize an image, and even add custom-made stickers. Each of these tools is easily accessible and simple to learn for any Snapchat user.
How to Use Snapchat Filters
One of the most basic tools to start with is Snapchat’s filter tool. Although a filter sounds like a simple change, the wide variety of augmented reality filters that Snapchat has available can help you to really transform an image. You can also add more than one filter to an image if you wish if you’re struggling to choose between the best Snapchat filters.
Here’s how to get started…
First, take a picture within Snapchat, use a Snapchat memory, or choose a photo from your camera roll that you wish to edit using Snapchat image editing tools. Swiping up on the main camera screen of Snapchat will bring you to all of your existing photos.
You can either choose from your memories or toggle to the camera roll option to choose an image that wasn’t taken within Snapchat. If you scroll through the images and drag your finger on the right edge of the screen, you will notice date stamps appear that tell you the month and year of the photo section you are hovering over.
Once you have selected your photo, tap the pencil icon in the bottom-left corner. This will bring you to Snapchat’s editing suite.
To search through available filters, swipe left or right. You will notice the filters appear as circles at the bottom of the screen. You can either toggle between each of these filters at the bottom of the screen, or search through the lens library. The lens library can be found as a magnifying glass icon to the right of the screen.
If you would like to review the various filters you have added, or remove a specific filter, you can click the layer icon to the right of the screen.
Adding Snapchat Stickers to Your Image
Snapchat has a library of pre-made stickers, as well as the capability for you to create your own custom stickers.
To add a sticker to the image you are editing follow these steps:
- Once you have selected your image, tap the paper icon to the right of the screen. This will take you to a gallery of stickers to choose from to add to your image. Sticker categories include recently used, popular, Bitmojis, Cameos, personalized stickers, and Emojis. You can toggle between pages, by swiping left and right.
- To select a sticker to add to your image, simply tap it. In some instances, you may need to add additional information, such as when adding a mention sticker.
But what about custom stickers?
To create a new personalized sticker, toggle to the scissor icon and tap Create. This will take you back to your original image where you can cut out a piece of your photo to create a new sticker. Once your sticker is created it will pop up on your screen.
You can change the size and location by pinching your fingers. You can also use this sticker on future images now that you have created it
To add a custom sticker to an image the sticker wasn’t cut from, simply toggle to the scissor icon within the sticker page. All of your previously made stickers will appear here, and you can choose whichever one you want to add.
How to Draw on an Image Using Snapchat
Snapchat also has a drawing tool that allows you to draw freely on your image. If you would like to draw custom shapes on your image, follow the steps below:
- Tap the pencil icon in the top-right corner. This will bring you to the drawing tool.
- To select a color drag your finger on the color meter in the top-right corner. To pick out a more specific shade of a color you should begin dragging again on the meter, and then while holding your finger down drag onto the rest of the screen. You will notice the preview color change as you drag across the screen.
- To pick from a different color pallette, tap the three circle color icon below the color meter.
- To draw using Emojis tap the Emoji beneath the color pallette icon.
- Drag your finger on the screen to draw. An undo icon will appear to the left of the pencil icon once you start drawing. You can tap this to take back one drawing action at a time.
How to Use the Snapchat Text Tool
If you would like to add a caption or chunk of text, follow these steps:
- Tap the T icon in the top-right corner. This will take you to a screen where you can add your custom text.
- To change the font, select from the font gallery that appears below the text as you type.
- To change the color of your text use the color meter that appears below the T icon after tapping it. Tap and drag your finger across the color meter to choose your preferred color.
Cropping Images on Snapchat
If you would like to crop or resize an image using Snapchat, follow the steps below:
- Repeat the same first few steps as outlined above to select the image of your choice.
- Tap the crop icon on the right of the screen.
- Pinch to resize/crop your image.
How to Save Your Snapchat Creation
Once you are pleased with your edits, follow the steps below to save your work:
- Tap the Done button in the top-left corner.
- Save your photo. You can either replace the old image or create a new copy with your edits. Your image will save on Snapchat and to your camera roll.
- Enjoy your masterpiece.
Snapchat’s editing tools are a simple way to quickly edit an image. Maybe you need to quickly create a meme to send in the group chat you share with your friends, or are trying to create a new screensaver that is completely customized.
No matter your reason, Snapchat simplifies the editing process for users making it quick and easy.